ORIGIN AND HISTORY OF HOWARD COUNTY
Charles Francis Stein, Jr., until recently President of our Society, has
compiled a comprehensive history of Howard County. Like his History
of Calvert County, this long-awaited book on a county whose history had
long been neglected in many respects, is a highly personal book. Through-
out its content the reader feels the deep roots the author has in this part
of Maryland. He has very appropriately dedicated it to the memory of
his mother, Ella Willson Griffith Stein who descended from Colonel
Henry Griffith, soldier of the Revolution and co-founder of Montgomery
County. It is a most handsome book abundant with genealogical informa-
tion and local lore. Its two sections describe the historical develop-
ment of Howard as it was carved out of Anne Arundel County and the
pioneer families who shaped this development. A listing of early land
grants and selections from Anne Arundel County Debt Books will be
useful for further searches. Some thirty coats-of-arms in full color,
superbly executed by J. A. Bishop, and photographs of many old resi-
dences enhance the value of the book which is a tribute to the printing
skills of the press of Schneidereith and Sons in Baltimore. Published in
cooperation with the Howard County Historical Society, the work is
available from the author, 231 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, 21202 for $19.50.
PRESERVING "SCHIEFFERSTADT" IN FREDERICK
The Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, Inc., Rose Hill Manor,
1611 North Market Street, Frederick, Maryland 21701, has undertaken
vigorous steps to preserve and protect one of the oldest houses in Frederick
County. Near the corner of Rosemont Avenue and West Second Street
stands a colonial stone residence, possibly the oldest in the city of Fred-
erick. This intriguing property was named "Schiefferstadt" by its
builder, Joseph Brunner after his birthplace near Mannheim, Germany.
Brunner landed in Philadelphia in 1724 but did not arrive in Maryland
until about 1736 when he built his home in the new Monocacy settlement.
The walls are two and one-half feet thick, with hand-hewn timbers of
native oak, pinned together without nails or spikes. With its kick-up roof
and center chimney, the building reflects the appearance of farm houses
in the Mannheim area. All partition doors are of five-panel design and
retain their original, elaborately wrought thumb-latches, locks, knobs and
hinges. In one of the upstairs bedchambers there is a built-in five-plate
stove, with four plates in figured relief. The stove is dated 1756 and
bears a German inscription.
GERMAN LITERATURE IN BALTIMORE'S LITERARY
The Spring 1974 issue of German-American Studies (Cleveland, Ohio),
edited by Robert E. Ward, contains two contributions of particular interest
to Maryland: Paul M. Haberland, "The Reception of German Literature
in Baltimore's Literary Magazines, 1800-1875," and Raymond A. Wiley,
"The German-American Verse of Dr. Franz Lahmeyer." The latter article
is on a remarkable, lengthy poem which was printed in Baltimore in 1833.
No printed copy exists but Wiley found its manuscript version. In the
poem, Lahmeyer contrasts most favorably his newly-found homeland
America with the old order in Europe.